Do you want to create a Wikipedia page for yourself, your brand or a product you are trying to market? I’m sad to say, just creating a new page with all your pre-written info is necessarily not the smart thing to do. Here’s a guide on how to do it.
Wikipedia is a part of the internet where active marketing is still not kosher. You can’t create a Wikipedia page for yourself or your product or brand and expect it to be approved. It needs to be both accurate and relevant for the platform, and other contributors make that decision.
Still, it can still be relevant to add something to Wikipedia at times, both people, brands and products exist on the platform today, so why shouldn’t yours?
What if you’ve tried to create a page a couple of times and got it rejected? Are there any tactics you can use to get it approved? Well, yes.
Here’s the smart way to create a Wikipedia page, step by step:
- Create a Wikipedia account. Choose an anonymous username.
- Start adding information or correct errors in already existing articles, related to your topic. I.e. If you’re looking to add yourself to Wikipedia and your grandmother already got a page, start to add to her page. Change and add to a couple of different pages, for some days over a week or two.
- Add text on an existing page that you later can use as the link to your new page. It’s much easier to create a page by linking something that’s already on the platform, expanding that information, than trying to upload something entirely new. The idea with Wikipedia is to build a network of pages linking each other.
- Since you need to add your new page by branching out from an already existing page, make sure that page exists; otherwise, you need to create a page that you can use for this purpose. You need to create a chain of pages linking each other from something already on Wikipedia today. I.e. If your grandmother has a page already, you might need to create a page for your mother, so that it’s relevant to link from that page directly to you.
- When you create a new page, add very little information to it at first. Like the year the person was born and their high school, or the company’s founding date, founders and leading investor.
- Go back and add snippets of content over time.
As you see, if your topic is far from something already on Wikipedia today, you need to have a plan to get it on to the platform in steps.